Many of you probably know some one, even though you may not be aware that they are, suffering from some form of mental illness. The stigma surrounding mental health is like a road block that keeps a person from getting the help that they need.
Here are some facts:
- 2 in 3 people suffer in silence fearing judgment and rejection.Canadian Medical Association
- Once depression is recognized, help can make a difference for 80% of people who are affected, allowing them to get back to their regular activities.CMHA
- 1 in 5 Canadians will experience a form of mental illness at some point in their life.Canadian Institute of Health Research
- Less than 4% of medical research funding goes to mental illness research.Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health
- Suicide accounts for 24% of all deaths among 15-24 year-olds and 16% among 25-44 year-olds.CMHA
Today is Bell Let’s Talk Day. For every tweet using
#BellLetsTalk, Bell will donate 5¢ more to #MentalHealth initiatives: http://ow.ly/t0e3k.If you are a Bell customer, the same will work for every text you send off.
Lets end the silence. And end the stigma surrounding this painful illness. Together, we can spread awareness and be a stronger voice to be heard!