yesterday, our friends, rvx, taryne, tai and trish came over for a bbq dinner.
i tried some new grilling recipes from "More Grilled to Perfection" – and it was definitely a success. the recipes are below…
- 8 chicken legs with bones in
- 6 oz. frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- two garlic cloves (which i minced)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- a dash of hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 chopped mint leaves
- olive oil to coat so it doesn't stick
- salt and pepper to season
- combine thawed lemonade concentrate, garlic, soy sauce, hot sauce, celery salt and mint leaves together in a large mixing bowl. mix well.
- reserve some marinade for basting. put chicken legs in seal-proof, marinating/storage bags. pour rest of marinade over chicken and leave in fridge for 2.5 hours (though i would probably leave it in for a few hours).
- turn grill on to medium-high heat. remove legs and pat try with paper towel. spray/drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- sear meat side down.
- lower heat and grill 15 minutes on both sides with lid open. baste with rest of reserved marinade.
- 15 small, red potatoes
- 2 or 3 minced garlic
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- olive oil
- a bunch of rosemary
- soak rosemary in water for 30 minute.
- lightly boil potatoes for 10 minutes until they have softened but are still firm (otherwise they fall apart on the grill).
- put semi-boiled potatoes in seal-proof storage bag.
- drizzle with olive oil. add salt, pepper and garlic. shake and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- place wet rosemary over grill, spreading them out so they make a loose make-shift mat.
- put potatoes over rosemary and close lid. the water from the rosemary will create the smoky flavour.
we also got freshly made honey garlic and mild italian sausage just in case the chicken didn't turn out but it turned out our worries were no worries at all. the chicken was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
for an appetizer, i also made mojitos, which no one seemed to have tried except for doug and i. the recipe is as follows:
mojito (for one serving):
- 5 mint leaves
- two cubes of sugar
- two wedges of lime
- 1 to 2 oz. Bacardi, white rum
- club soda, chilled
- two ice cubes
- place mint leaves and sugar cubes in old-fashioned glass.
- muddle until sugar cubes are crushed (and leaves are slightly crushed as well).
- put two wedges of lime and rum in, muddle until juices are extracted from lime.
- put two ice cubes in and top with chilled club soda.
- stir and serve!
the mojitos were will received. especially since the minty taste mixed with the citrus of lime made for a refreshing drink on a summer's day.
rvx and taryne brought a tri-bean salad… tai and trish brought an gelatin, italian dessert.
not much to report from today, though… doug went to work so chaeli and i bummed around out on the patio in the morning. after a lunch and nap, we went shopping and stopped at starbucks for a late-afternoon snack. she had a chocolate-covered graham cracker while i had a chai frappucino!